Its impossible to remove the power All we have to do is remove the money from the political process. If politicians did not need donations to run for office, then they would not be beholding to special interest groups.
The steps are outlined below, the trick is getting congress to act. I think the movement should take its lead from Grover. All candidates should be asked to sign a campaign reform pledge. This would fall under: If you can’t beat them join them. Occupy must become a lobbyist, and work within the system. This may sound crazy, but just sitting in the street will not create change, it mobilizes people, but congress is ignoring the movement. We must get Congress’s attention. To start, we may need to work at the state level, use the proposition method for getting changes made to campaign finance reform.
So how do we remove the money? (which is what corrupts the process):
- FCC must dictate that the TV and Radio stations, its suppose to oversee, provide free air time to anyone running for office.
- Limit political donations, to individuals (no corporations or other organizations) who are eligible to vote in the election the recipient is running in.
- All political action committees, lobbyists or any organization that spends money advertising causes, must publish their donor list
- All political ads by political action committees, lobbyists or any organization must not depict or name a candidate
- Congress must pass the Stock Act